Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Big Boy and Good Girl

Hayden is growing like crazy... took him to the dr. last Friday because he was breathing hard and seemed really congested. I couldn't tell if he was wheezing or not, so I took him in. His lungs were clear, and doc said it was just newborn mucus getting dried out in his wittle nose. So I have to spray saline up there a few times a day and suck it out, and it helps him breathe better. He doesn't mind it, except when he moves and I spray him in the face a little. He was 10 lbs 7 oz at the appointment at 18 days old, and he's grown out of most of his 0-3 month clothes and into the 3-6 month outfits.

No wonder he's so big, he's been nursing non-stop it seems. I stopped pumping and went back to nursing because it was just taking too long to feed him a bottle, then get him back to sleep, then pump for the next bottle, then get myself back to bed... then he would wake up again. He's gotten a lot better at nursing, and it's actually working out well. He just wants it so frequently lol.

Next week it will be 3 weeks until I go back to work, so I think I'm going to start working our way towards the schedule we'll have when that happens. Get up at 5am and nurse, put him back down until 7am when we leave for the sitter, 3 bottles during the day (I will pump 3-4 times at work), nurse at 5:30pm when I get home, then play it by ear for evening and nighttime. I will just have to start going to bed early and DVR my shows to watch when I'm up nursing at night I guess.

Haleigh is still being good with Hayden. He loves to watch her do anything, and she really gets excited when he stares at her, "He's watching me mommy!" But she gets in his face a lot, and when she hugs him her hair gets in his face which bothers him a little. Today she poked him in the ear and bumped heads with him once... she just gets too excited to be around him. I can't wait until he starts smiling and reacting more to us; she'll be uncontrollable I think.

We're also working on the he/she and him/her issue. There are only one or two little boys at her daycare occasionally, so she's spent all day with all girls for almost a year now and doesn't know the difference. She knows she's a girl and Hayden's a boy, but Mommy is a Laurie and Daddy is a Chad and there's no convincing her otherwise... so I don't think she's getting it. She's always referring to Hayden like, "aww she's so cute" or "you're going to change her diaper mommy?" We gently correct her, and she agrees and it seems to sink in, but two minutes later she's doing it again lol.

But I really couldn't ask for a more polite and well-behaved little girl. She cleans up herself after she eats now (box of wipes on her table) and puts her dishes and trash in the right places. She doesn't want to go on the potty and won't wear underwear or a pull-up ("no, not yet," she says), but she'll go and get a diaper and wipes when she needs to be changed. She'll do absolutely anything I ask if it has to do with Hayden, and she still loves to sleep. We've never had trouble getting her to go to bed for naps or at nighttime. We just let her know it's "bedtime-thirty" (because the time keeps changing as she gets older or if we're doing something late and I didn't want to confuse her... and the term stuck) and she helps pick up her toys. Then she closes her door for me, shuts the light off, makes sure I've turned on the fan and her nightlight, grabs her blanket and a pacifier (I know, I know...) and when I put her in the crib she just rolls over and closes her eyes. At night she'll sleep 12 hours, and after lunch she'll take a 3 hour nap.

I hope we're just as lucky with Hayden...

1 comment:

Beth said...

Great update! Sounds like you have an eating machine on your hands!! And a very helpful little lady! :o)